Saturday, June 19, 2010

Of God, Cousteau, Signs, and Nunnery

...in reverse order!


Maria (Part II, written for June fourteenth) was only written because I didn't want to write something difficult. She seemed easy.  She was. I wrote a relatively short, transitory tale and called it good. It was. The story was little more than a snapshot, but I don't think that's a problem. There's something powerful about a nun speeding to the Yucatán on a motorcycle, habit flapping in the wind.

Th response I received was mixed. Elphaba gave only encouragement, mirroring my feelings for the nun. I received a different response from an anonymous source I'm sure you all know. The source expressed dislike for our favorite nun (also for our favorite mariner, but that's neither here nor here. It will be there, though). However, I am inclined to completely disregard this response, and instead focus on the most powerful. My mother never, to my knowledge, reads rps. Yet, one day I checked my email, and found a note from her. It explained she liked my story about "The nun". I was shocked and then happy. Then I told her it was a sequel to an earlier part. I sent her a link.


Crow. I almost named her Wren, but I preferred Crow. It's a good name. What happened to her? I'm not sure. Where is she going? I hope we one day find out. But I think she might already be done, and for that I weep.


Jacques Cousteau lives again. His third story takes place before the Necromaster's death, and quite possibly before Jacques descended into the deepening darkness of the dark depths of Darkdeep. The entire story struck me as both less mad, and more. I don't know if I prefer it (do you?), but I have a feeling that further stories will be written more like this.


Ryan was given the last Gift of a dying God. Is it sacrilege to kill off God (I'm looking at you Philip Pullman)? If so, it is sacrilege of a delicious sort. I have vaguely formed plans for Ryan, but he might easily fail to return. I don't know. He is a much a character as Maria was at her conception, but less than jacques may have been. Yet so much more. How do you like him?

4 comments:

  1. I'd be interested to see what kind of adventures Ryan would have while being God. Kind of like Bruce Almighty, but less stupid. And you know I like Cousteau.

    Speaking of which, did you know Jacques Cousteau is a character on a TV show? I think it's on the History Channel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make sense, considering his massive contributions to all things aquatic.

    ReplyDelete