Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The First of Fools

This was certainly a deviation from my usual sonnet style.

Aside: The sonnets are accurately numbered. Sonnet I was the first sonnet I ever wrote.

The first four sonnets are all written in senses. That is, they tell what is. Sonnet VI tells what is happening. I've finished Fools, and I warn you there is but one more. I originally thought to write only the first. Then I decided to write another. As I set to the task, I considered composing an epic of sonnets. Then I realized how stupid that would be. Sonnets are hard. I'll stick to writing my epic in ballad meter.

Aside: There is a short epic I'm working on. I say short because Homer defined what an epic can be, and I've nowhere near an Iliad of writing. I'm not sure I- who do I fool? Of course I want it. Sadly, I've only forty-five stanzas of ballad meter. It isn't even in pentameter or something fancy. Meh, I try.

Sonnet VIII will be a pleasant return to the old style, though, and IX should remain so, if it ever decides to allow me to place all eight syllables in every line (Oh, certainly. Why not drop half an iamb? All the poets are doing it!). I confess I am bitter.

Is it clear that the Fools the title refers to are the self-styled Wise and Rich? That's kind of what I was going for, but I got distracted with trying to rhyme form. I changed the word in the end. Obviously.

Was I the only one who noticed the tendrils of Lovecraft's influence creeping into the theme? Yes? Never mind then.

3 comments:

  1. Since I've only read one story by Lovecraft, I can't really tell how much of an influence he's made on your writing. But I'll take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story was Celephaïs, anyway. The theme is extraordinarily subtle to one who has read but that story.

    ReplyDelete