Monday, December 28, 2009

Descent Into the Void

Void came to me in a dream. It was odd. I found myself in a large, foggy cavern without entrance nor exit. About me were hundreds, maybe thousands, of redead. The redead did not move to harm me. I found an old man, also undead, but not redead. I spoke with him, and he flew into a rage. His eyes flashed with dark powers and suddenly every fiend in the room came to kill me. I ran across the cavern to where a heart - as in Super Mario 64 - sat/floated on the ground. I positioned myself so it was between me and my opponents. The mindless horrors came at me, but upon touching the heart they were destroyed. Soon, most were destroyed. Those that remained were smarter and stronger, but I foolishly abandoned the heart (which never again appeared in the dream) to fight them. Now it must be understood that the cavern was different than before. The ground had become carpeted with short grass, and a perfectly rectangular pool had been cleanly cut in the center. At one end of the pool was a tree. It was around the pool I ran, clutching my bow and shooting the undead I could. By the time I ran out of arrows, two were left. I recognized them. They wore the faces of classmates from my youth. At the moment, though, I saw only one of them. He stood under the tree, walking leisurely towards me, perfectly human by all appearances, though I knew he was not. I turned to run to the other end of the pool, and I saw the other a mere foot from me. I screamed and threw - yes, threw - my sword at him. I missed, of course. I ran from him, and was almost caught in his claws (though perfectly human in appearance at all other times, he lashed at me then with the withered claws of the Damned). I reached the end opposite the tree (I was running clockwise) and continued until I reached the opposite bank from where I first spotted the two. There was a small cavern in the wall, and within were two pots. I smashed them in a vain attempt to find arrows. Running back out, I saw they were almost upon me and I leapt into the pool. I knew, somehow, that they couldn't reach me there. I allowed my momentum to carry me into the depths. I began to rise again as my oxygen supply depleted, and one of them extended a hand over the waters. Flames blossomed from it, and silently poured across the water. A white shroud fell over everything and I was undone.

17 comments:

  1. So, your existence was erased? Wouldn't that disrupt the whole time-space continuum thing? Or are you going with the whole multiple realities theory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. None. I was just made to never have been. Simple as that. Then I woke up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I don't get how that could happen ! Your existence causes certain things to happen in the world. Ergo, when you erase your existence, those things don't happen. Since time travel is, as yet, impossible, how could you--

    Never mind. It's a dream. It's not that huge of a deal. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time travel isn't necessary to erase an existence. Just magicks dark and old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Reogan, whatever you say. And I'm not being patronizing, promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ;D You know you like this banter. Don't deny it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I deny everything, but regret nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I regret nothing, for nothing makes me regretful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. But no one is perfect; everyone messes up sometimes. Don't you regret those times?

    ReplyDelete