Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Prologue to the Apocalypse

When I began to write the Prologue, I knew only one thing. I had a protagonist who was running from a venusaur. The venusaur was tall. The instant I began to write, the name seemed obvious to me. Red. Named after the protagonist of the manga, which is easily my favorite adaptation of the genre. From there, the tale wrote itself. I had very few problems. The first was simply word choice. I almost wrote ignoring the searing streaks of red they left on his exposed face and arms, but then I realized crimson would flow better considering Red's name. Then, as I wanted to delay actually naming the pokémon for as long as I could, I spent a bit of time figuring out one- or two-word descriptions for the charizard like dragon or reptilian monstrosity. I gave up very quickly, as you can see, and I waste no time introducing the blastoise. It's been too long to recall what my wording had been, but the bit about the behemoths battling was, originally, one of the most awkward things I'd ever seen written. I think I fixed it in the end, though. I didn't start writing with Red in a valley, but the magic of writing is such that I made it so he had always been in one, able to be trapped. I liked the effect of thoughts dulled and I felt a surge of pride at the inclusion of the word precluding. I realize it's neither uncommon nor particularly 'educated,' but it isn't part of my normal speech patterns, so the inclusion indicates vocabularic (I just made a word!) progress. I remember looking up 'twenty meters' on google to see how tall it was, but it just gave me unit conversions, and sixty-five feet is as meaningless to me as twenty meters. I settled on it because I knew it was massive without being too extreme. Besides, I can change the height of venusaur later. This was just a dream. I admit that the SolarBeam bit was partially inspired by reading the pokémon manga. Describing the beam's advance worried me, as writing action can fail horribly and just drag a moment that should take an instant on forever. I wanted to fully describe it without lingering. I set a two sentence limit, and I met it. I know the 'It was all a dream' bit was already cliche when Dorothy pulled it, but at this point I was still thinking in more cinematic terms, and I thought this would be the best way to introduce the world. The usage of errant thought made me happy in the same way thoughts dulled and precluding did. I chose sixteen after a bit of thought. We all know Ash is ten. No one would send ten year olds into this world. Twelve is still far, far to early. Fourteen is adulthood in some cultures but still young. Sixteen, well, at that point I think most would be strong enough to survive and smart enough to not be a complete idiot. I invented The Calling on the spot, almost making it The Choosing or The Ritual, but I thought 'choosing' was to bland and 'ritual' implies too much... ritual.

I'm not even going to re-read this because I know I rambled. Incessantly. That's what you came here to read though.

36 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you say that this isn't fanfiction! Are you kidding me? You got ideas from Pokemon manga and wrote your own story! Granted, you made up your own characters and special circumstances, but fanfiction can do that, too! You are a total hypocrite!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, I meant, "wrote your own story based on those ideas."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a universe, not a story, nor a time, nor characters from the various pokémon stories. The usage of the names of the characters from the manga (along with the same starting pokémon) is simply an easter egg for those who have read the manga. Thus far, the only character who has been named that exists in both worlds is Oak, who everyone will agree is nothing like Professor Oak. His relation to Green is admittedly more than coincidence, but that is, again, more of an easter egg than a plot point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go ahead and delude yourself into thinking that, Reogan. You just don't want to admit you write a loose form of fanfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If simply using the universe is fanfiction, then please tell me which parts of the pokémon franchise are fanfiction. The anime, the manga, or the games?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whichever one came first is the original.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were released, effectively, simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then none of them are fanfiction. They aren't based off a pre-existing idea. Yours, however, is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They all are based on a pre-existing idea. An idea by Satoshi Tajiri.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatever. I'm not even going to argue this anymore. Shall we agree to disagree?

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, but I will agreeably disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why do you disagree with my agreeing with you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. True, but normally you enjoy it when people agree with you--now you disagree with those who agree with you? You, like Thomas Jefferson, are a man of contradictions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You disagree with the statement YOU made about your disagreeing with everything? That means you agree with me!

    However, I know your response will be to disagree again, so I don't take too much comfort in this small victory.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm done. You're gonna drive me into an institution if I keep this up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Actually, I think you mean !!!!!!HHHHHGGGGRRRAA

    ReplyDelete
  18. You won't. But I'm still telling you to shut up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I disagree. You're actually ordering me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Telling" and "ordering" are synonyms. They can be used almost interchangeably. This is true in this case.





    Ugh, where is Met when I need him?!? He's better at arguing logic with you than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This discussion ends now. I'm not replying anymore.

    ReplyDelete