Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chapter One, The Lab

I began by describing the Lab. I saw it in a vision, and I made it be. That's what I love about writing. I can build a world with nothing but will. And I did. I spent a large paragraph on it, so that you might see as I do. Here I made sure to introduce the reader to the idea of the pokémon being feral and huge by saying how they were once domesticated and small. I tried to show that this isn't the pokémon everyone grew up with by mentioning that magikarp were food not companions.

Yes. Magikarp are still useless. I just couldn't make them powerful.

I placed the society on the edge of a knife, always close to falling, by limiting their sources of pokémon to eggs found in the wild. This creates a more maintainable universe, because it let's me endanger the society if I need a plot device. The Seven were a spur of the moment addition, but I was easily able to knit them into the universe.

I made a little inside reference to the opening of the pokémon animated series here, waking Red too late to make it to the calling. Unlike Ash, though, Red is sixteen. It would be stupid to send someone of the age of ten into the world. They would die. In many cultures, though, sixteen is old enough to be considered an adult, and I thought most people would be physically and mentally able to survive at that age. I made the hill steeper here than I previously had imagined it, in case I ever had a siege-like battle at it (I had little of the story planned out here). Red was awed to communicate the grandeur of the lab.

The Guardian was on the roof. This was completely for dramatic effect. Luckily, I justified it to myself by deciding they could see better from up there. Here, I also revealed that the Seven are neither all male, nor all female.

Oak scares me. Once a mild-mannered professor, he has become a muscle-bound leader. Here is a man who can fight off a creature made of rock. Yes, he's tall. Yes, he was adrenaline-fueled. But rhyhorn are canonically over one hundred kilograms, and in my universe they probably weigh far more than that. Also, horn drill. 'Nuff said.

After mutilating the man, I had him give Red a pokémon, say something vaguely ritualistic, and get rid of him. Oak does not like people. People listen to Oak. Oak > Chuck Norris > you.

I ended by murdering Red's childhood, just how I murdered yours by writing this piece. Satisfied, I ended the chapter.

2 comments:

  1. I do like the Chuck Norris reference. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fail to see how he became such a cultural icon, though.

    ReplyDelete